Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Day 15- My New Most Favorite Eat It Daily Dish!!!!

Yesterday was Day 15 of eating vegan for 365 days and boy do I feel awesome!!!!! Today I put on a pair of jeans I have not worn in about three weeks and they actually felt looser! How is that even possible?! It has only been 15 days ya know. At the library today I actually ran up the steps and it didn't kill me, I was shocked because I have not been getting any exercise lately just changed my eating habits. Since  feel so great I think I may start actually exercising.

I wanted to share with you today my favorite food right now, a dish I eat every day, sometimes twice for the past week.
This is what I call Island Rice. I discovered a similar dish at a Hawaiian cafe not too long ago because it was the only vegan item on their menu. I immediately fell in love and looked online for recipes so I could recreate the dish. I found lots of versions of this but they all had more fat in them than I wanted due to the coconut milk. While reading The Starch Solution the other night I saw that you can make your own coconut milk by just adding coconut extract to rice or almond milk. This worked great my first batch but I still wanted to cut the rice milk because of the fats so now I just use water with coconut extract and it taste the same but without the fat. I am eating this with a healthy terryaki (how do you spell that!) sauce I found at the store but plan to try and make my own soon. This dish is yummy without the sauce though too.  Here is my recipe for Island Rice.

In a rice cooker add.....

2 cups of rice (sometimes I use brown short grain sometimes I use brown shortgrain, just whatever rice you like, it doesn't have to be brown but I prefer it)

4 cups of water

1-2 tbsp coconut extract depending on strong you want the coconut flavor

2 tbsp agave nectar or sweetener of your choice

1 can of beans rinsed and drained (I use pinto but I think any kind of bean would be good)

Mix all the ingredients around in your cooker and start it up. Thats it!

If you don't have a rice cooker just cook everything but the beans on the stove top and then add the beans the last 10 minutes or so.

This smells sooooo amazing cooking!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment