Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Day 16-20 of eating only vegan-A New Yummy Split Pea Recipe!

Today is day 20 of my vegan year. I am feeling better today than I have in years. In fact each day I am on this journey of eating no animal products and very very little fat I feel better than the day before. It is hard to imagine how I will feel at the end of my 365 days, I am excited.

Life has been a whirl wind of activity since I last posted. My husband was out of state on business and life always seems "off" when he is not home. The kids and I ate mostly easy meals of pasta, sandwiches, soup, fruit and leftovers. Nothing special really but it was still good and vegan.

A few days ago I discovered my love of split yellow peas. I still can't believe I am say I love spit peas but there ya have it, I LOVE SPLIT PEAS! hahahahaha Somewhere overhead pigs are flying I am sure of it. :-)
I was craving something both spicy and sweet and earthy. I knew split yellow peas cook down to a wonderful thick and creamy texture and I had some on hand so I started with those. This is the recipe I came up with and have made again because it is soooooo yummy.

1 cup split yellow peas
2 cups vegetable broth
1 cup water
about a tbsp of each....sage, cumin, curry, dry mustard, cloves, garlic powder, ginger, vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tbsp salt
Cheyenne to taste

Put in slow cooker on high for a few hours, stirring ever once in a while. When it is all broke down and has the texture of about mashed taters or refried beans it is done. If you are cooking it on the stove top bring to a boil then reduce and cover and simmer until the peas are broke down.  This is one of those dishes that you kinda taste at the end and see what other spices are needed. I usually end up added a little extra of something just depends on what I think it needs.

My husband ended up really liking this too so he has eaten each time I have made it. It smells ridiculously good while cooking so I don't think he could resist trying it. I really love this recipe because it is cheap, easy and nutritious....the trifecta of a perfect meal in my opinion. We just eat this by the bowl but I think it would be good as a side dish too or even on a bun or tortilla or something.

Well I am off to attack some of the delicious jonigold apples I bought today!

No comments:

Post a Comment